Butte, Montana
We drove north through Utah and Idaho and into Montana. When we hit I-90 we turned east for 5 miles to Butte, Montana. A year or two ago Carolyn and I listened to a really good book by Leigh Montville about Evel Knievel. Knievel grew up in Butte and spent most of his adult life there as well. The book made Butte sound like a rough mining town. We were not disappointed. From what we saw, the town is old, run down, and looks like the last construction took place in the 50's or 60's. It was great! The town was built on a hill. Beneath that hill are great deposits of silver and copper. From any vantage point in town there are a dozen old head frames visible perching over mine shafts.
Mighty heaps of earth
This view reminds me of Ether 10:23 - "...and all manner of metals; and they did dig it out of the earth; wherefore, they did cast up mighty heaps of earth to get ore, of gold, and of silver, and of iron, and of copper."
View of Butte from the top of the hill
Butte spread out below
From Butte we drove west to Missoula and then climbed through the Bitterroots before dropping down to the Silver Valley and Wallace. All was well at the Wallace house. It was raining. The weather in Wallace is similar to Seattle, lots of rain, but great summers. I planted a couple of blueberry bushes in the back yard.
Grandfather clock
Right before we left Utah, Carolyn's mom gave us this grandfather clock that had been in the house Carolyn's whole life. The clock was broken.
New suspension spring
We took the clock to Wallace and I brought it inside. I know nothing about clocks, but I opened the back and looked at the mechanism. After trying to figure out how things worked and how the pendulum attached to the gears, I noticed there must be a broken part. With the clock's instruction manual was a small envelope and it contained a new suspension spring, the exact part that was broken. I replaced the spring, wound the clock, and it appears to keep time and play the chimes.
With the threat of extended freezing weather passed, I turned off the heat in our house and in John's house. On Sunday after watching General Conference, we packed up and drove back to Seattle.
No comments:
Post a Comment